top of page

Felling and District Amateur Operatic and Dramatic Society was originally formed on 18th January 1923, when Mr. W. W. Burt called a meeting of local Gilbert and Sullivan enthusiasts in the United Methodist Church, Crowhall Lane, Felling. The Society was properly constituted on Friday 23rd February with Mr. Burt as Chairman, a position he held for the next forty years.

In October 1923, the Society’s first production, ‘The Mikado’, was performed in the Corona Picture Hall, Felling. This became the Society's home until 1939 when the outbreak of World War II resulted in a hiatus. The Society reformed in 1947 and moved to the Essoldo Cinema (formerly the Empire Theatre), Gateshead. Annual shows were produced there until 1966 when the theatre was demolished to make way for a new road. The closure of the theatre forced the move to a new venue: The Dryden Centre, which was at that time The Girls' Grammar School.

At an Extraordinary Meeting on 11th June 2002, the society took the decision to rename itself and Felling Stage Society came into being.


For their Autumn 2012 production of 'Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street', the society moved to the newly built theatre in Heworth Grange School which is very close to where it all began.


The society has approximately 50 members, both acting and none acting, ranging from 16 to 60+. Weekly rehearsals are held on Tuesdays at 7.30pm at Felling Methodist Church, Coldwell Street, Felling, Gateshead, and prospective new members are always welcome, be they singers, dancers, or those who wish to work backstage or front of house. If you are interested in joining us click here.

bottom of page